Friday, December 11, 2015

Final Reflection

This semester in TCF 312 is truly one I will never forget. I learned so many invaluable lessons that could only be taught through the medium of film. One of the biggest lessons I learned is that you haven’t done anything until you’ve picked up a camera and tried to go shoot something yourself. Once you put yourself behind the lens, everything changes. Complications may arise that you didn’t anticipate before, however you have a crew to help overcome them. My skills as an artist increased dramatically throughout the semester as I progressed from project to project. I shot more scenes and places then I ever have in my life, which was a great experience. The best way to learn something isn’t to read a book or watch a help video; the best way to learn something is to do it yourself. This is exactly what shooting my first scene assignment did for me. I had never directed anything before in my life and was excited for the challenge. As I developed my script, storyboards, and shooting plans, I realized how much more of a challenge it was going to be. The logistics that are involved in directing a set are somewhat overwhelming at first, but doable. Before shooting the scene, it is impossible to foresee what problems you may have from your particular set. Whether it’s the lighting, the set, or the actors, there is always some variable that is going to make your job as a director that much harder. This is where the real learning begins. Through the readings and other homework assignments, I learned that being a successful filmmaker is dependent on your ability to adapt quickly. I had no idea that fast decision making was going to be such an important part of my job, but it helped me learn that much faster. My skills, of course, still need dramatic improvement in order to get to where I want to be as a director, filmmaker, or editor. I realized my visual storytelling skills weren’t my best asset but also learned how important they are. Not only is the individual skill of visual storytelling important, it’s also its relationship with the rest of the components of film that matter.  A good director has the ability to make these components come together into one complex narrative. Looking forward, im very excited to start my career in the film industry. Hopefully, it will start this summer with an internship and develop from there. I have no specific or set goals of what I want to do for the rest of my life so my options are open. I do know, however, that film will always be a part of it and that I will love continuing to work on projects that are others or my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment